Monday, March 12, 2012

Birthday Gifts Week {Sleepover kit}

I love giving unique birthday presents.  There is nothing that I hate more then going to the store and spending hours picking out the right Barbie.  A Barbie that will probably only be played with for a few days.  That is what seems to happen in my house anyway.

I have a couple of criteria when picking out, or making a gift for someone.

1.  I like it to be something that is useful.

2.  I like it to be something that is consumable.

3.  I like it to be used to make memories, or when spending quality time.

I am going to share some of the ideas that I have come up with this week.

I will end the week, with an awesome giveaway that will be perfect for a sweet little person’s birthday.

The Sleepover kit.

Tessa  (1 of 4)

Kids and sleepovers are such a common thing.  I am not a huge fan of sleepovers myself.  We have decided that we will have sleepover’s with a few select friends.  The kids also sleep over at their cousins and their grandparents. 

Just recently, Stella was invited to a dear friends party.  This little sweetie is someone we like to claim as a cousin.  We have had her over to sleep several times.  She also sleeps over at her Nanny’s house often as well.

I thought it might be fun to make her a little sleepover kit.

I like to change my kids pillow cases when they go to a sleep over.  So a fun only used for sleepover’s pillowcase is a must.

Tessa  (1 of 1)

Pillowcases are so easy to make.  They are also cheap to buy if you don’t want to take the time.

Once I finished it, Stella told me it was boring.  So I added some pink trim and the letter B; her first initial.

That seemed to satisfy Stella. 

I already had the owl fabric left from the pajamas my Mother in law helped me make for Christmas. 

This gift didn’t cost me a thing; just a couple hours one Saturday morning.

Tessa  (2 of 2)

I decided she would need a bag to keep her personal items in.

Tessa  (1 of 2)

We included some toothpaste, floss, and a toothbrush.  I think it is nice to keep these separate from the ones you have at home.  It makes it so easy to just grab them for your next sleepover.

I also already had the toothbrush and paste on hand; from all those dentist visits.

…and the part that makes the gift so much fun; the owl mask.

Tessa  (2 of 4)

Every girl, likes to have something fun to show off at their sleepover.  What is more fun then two big owl eyes keeping your little peepers covered while you sleep.

I simply drew out the shape of each piece on paper and made my own little pattern.  Then I cut them out and used iron on paper to make them stick.  I sewed around each piece to tack it down a little better.  I made the headband part out of a tube of fabric, and some elastic.

Tessa  (3 of 6)

It is so sweet.

Tessa  (4 of 6)

I have also seen masks available to buy in the dollar spot at Target.  They are not an adorable owl, but still sweet.  You could find a pillow case to match, and a sweet bag, that is always easy to find  in the dollar spot. You would have your own Sleepover kit without even breaking out your sewing machine.

Your gift is even better when you package it up nicely.

Tessa  (3 of 4)

Add a couple of homemade tags, and you are good to go.

Tessa  (4 of 4)

Now that I made one of these for Stella’s friend, Stella thinks she needs one too.

Time to break out the sewing machine again.

Stay tuned for another great gift idea tomorrow.

Post Edited: Just surfing blog land and see that Eighteen 25 is posting birthday ideas as well.  I will be sharing something similar to this gift tomorrow so stay tuned to see my take on it.  How funny.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What an adorable and creative idea. I always love checking out your blog. :)

katie@tulsadetails said...

You give the best gifts!! How cute and thoughtful! Love it!!

KW said...

Super cute idea!

Beth Curtis said...

I love this so much! I am so glad you are sharing all your ideas, you are so talented!

Krysta said...

I love this! I am definitely going to do this one. Kaylee will love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails