Friday, November 2, 2012

A fun November craft

I have had fun making a few things with felt this week.  I recently followed this tutorial and made these felt pinecones.

SAM_8427 

I love them.  They look so cute in this gold bowl on my coffee table.

Photobucket

I decided that I wanted a few acorns to go in with them.  So I came up with a way to make acorns.  They are so simple and look adorbs with the pinecones.

I used the small egg shaped Styrofoam balls that came in the same bag that I used to make the pinecones. I love when I don’t have to buy anything to create something.  It is nice to make something out of things you have on hand.

What you need:

small egg shaped Styrofoam balls

golden felt

brown felt

a glue gun

Start by cutting a large circle out of you gold felt.  Put your egg smaller side down on top in the center of the felt.

Photobucket

Run a bead of glue down the four sides of the egg.   Then push the felt up against the glue so it looks like this:

Photobucket

Then take the felt that is not glued and put a bead of glue inside the pocket it made. Squeeze the pocket together so it looks like this:

Photobucket

Now take your scissors, and cut right up next to your egg.  Cutting the overhanging felt that you glued together.

 Photobucket

Cut all four sides.

Photobucket 

This will leave you with a nice acorn bottom with four pretty seams.

Photobucket

Now cut a smaller brown circle for your top.

Photobucket

Glue it on the center top of your acorn.

Photobucket

Then continue to glue it around the sides make a few pleats.

Photobucket

Now your acorn has a top.

Next, cut a small rectangle out of your brown felt.

Photobucket

Run a bead of glue down the center leaving the bottom free of glue.

Photobucket

Roll up the felt to make a stem leaving the bottom open like a half circle.

You will put the glue in this half circle part to give you a base to glue to your acorn top.

Photobucket

Wah-Lah!  Now you have a felt acorn.

Photobucket

Add them to a pretty bowl with your felt pinecones, and you have a cheap autumn detail.

6 comments:

Ford said...

Cute!

Leslie Posey said...

love it...and i have some felt I can make them with and I don't have to go to the store. Sounds like I should make some today! Thanks for sharing

Ang said...

So cute. Don't know if I'll get around to making these, but I'm adding it to my pins!

Krysta said...

Super cute!

Tara said...

Very cute!!! I'm glad you made it through the storm alright - hopefully had some nice quiet time @ home and still got in a little Halloween goodness???

Pam said...

I am hoping you made a set of these for your sweet mama! Lol super cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails